Carl A. Hjort
Carl Hjort is an associate within the firm, working from Denver, Colorado. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering in 2001 from Case Western Reserve University. Mr. Hjort graduated magna cum laude in 2004 from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law where he served as managing editor of the Law Review and received the Marshall Scholarship.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hjort served as a judicial extern for Chief Judge Matia of the United States District Court of Northern Ohio. In addition, before and during his legal education, from 2001 to 2003, Mr. Hjort worked as a chemist for Promerus, LLC. There he conducted research into the properties of cyclic olefin polymers for the semiconductor industry. Mr. Hjort’'s practice involves intellectual property litigation, the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in the chemical and mechanical arts, and trademark prosecution and opposition matters.
Mr. Hjort is admitted to the Colorado State Bar, Ohio State Bar, the New York State Bar, and is a registered patent attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Areas of Practice
- IP Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Counseling and Opinions
- Due Diligence Investigations
- Licensing / Agreements
- International Practice
- Ohio, 2005
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- Juris Doctor - 12/2004
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Marshall Scholarship
- Case Western Reserve University
- Bachelor of Science - 2001
- Major: Chemistry/Chemical Engineering
- Mollo v. Elkin Manufacturing, Inc.
- Elkin Manufacturing Inc. v. Old Dominion Brush Co.
- Fisher Hamilton v. Jamestown Metal Products
- Truck-Lite v. Panor
- Dynamics Research Corp. v. Industrial Equipment Machine Corp.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Past Employment Positions
- Chief Judge Matia of the United States District Court of Northern Ohio, Judicial Extern
- Promerus, LLC, Chemist, 2001 to 2003
- Alpha Chi Sigma
- Delta Theta Phi