Byron A. Bilicki is the firm's founder and managing shareholder. Mr. Bilicki's 20 years experience includes trials and appeals involving patents, trademarks, trade secrets, false advertising, and unfair competition. His patent prosecution experience has covered diverse fields such as medical devices, optical equipment, consumer products, automotive and heavy-duty truck parts, ultrasonic transducers, and computer technology and software. He has also litigated high-stakes patent and trademark cases involving well-known marks, as well as trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Bilicki has done extensive work in IP due diligence and licensing. He also regularly advises clients as to patent infringement and validity issues and the availability of trademarks for registration and use.
Prior to founding the firm in 1993, Mr. Bilicki practiced with Morgan & Finnegan’s New York City office and Kirkpatrick Lockhart Nicholson & Graham’s Pittsburgh office. Mr. Bilicki received a Bachelor of Science degree (Chemistry major) from Allegheny College and his Juris Doctor from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where he was a published member of the Law Review.
Mr. Bilicki is admitted to practice before the bars of New York and Pennsylvania, as well as several federal district courts, and courts of appeals, including the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Mr. Bilicki is admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Mr. Bilicki's professional affiliations include the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Bar Association, and the New York Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- IP Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Counseling and Opinions
- Due Diligence Investigations
- Licensing / Agreements
- International Practice
Certified Legal Specialties
- Registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- New York, 1986
- Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1987
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1985
- Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 1980
- Major: Chemistry
- Fisher Hamilton v. Jamestown Metal Products
- Elkin Manufacturing Inc. v. Old Dominion Brush Co.
- Sunrise Medical HHG v. AirSep Corp.
- Mollo v. Elkin Manufacturing, Inc.
- Truck-Lite v. Panor
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- New York Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Morgan & Finnegan's New York City office
- Kirkpatrick Lockhart Nicholson & Graham's Pittsburgh office